On October 4, 2022, the National Council of the Slovak Republic (parliament) approved an amendment to the Labor Code, transposing into Slovak labor law EU legislation in the area of ensuring transparent and predictable working conditions for employees and a work-life balance for parents and caregivers.
The changes that the amendment to the Labor Code introduces include:
- supplementation of certain provisions of the Labor Code regarding employment contracts and providing information on working conditions and terms and conditions of employment;
- a broader, clarified scope of information that an employee should receive so that the requirement of transparency and predictability of the work performed is ensured;
- establishment of the employee’s right to request a transition to another form of employment (e.g. from a fixed-term to indefinite employment contract);
- provision of information to employees also in electronic form;
- the concept of paternity leave; and
- the possibility for persons caring for children to request flexible work arrangements.